Thursday, April 7, 2011

Round About Midnight by Bob Kaufman

I enjoyed this poem because it reminded me of a story I was reading in my short fiction class.
The story is called Sonny's Blues and a major motif in the story is music,  and not just any music. How music can potentially save you from the darkness that you feel inside yourself. And for Sonny it was through Jazz music. In this poem it is more erotic, how music can set people in the mood for something more. How it gives you a feeling that only music could, and how it can somehow connect two people together, who are able to feel it. Through music you can feel joy, anger, love, pain, heartbreak, lust. Music brings out those emotions in people. Think about your favorite song, and think about why it is your favorite song, its because it holds a deeper emotional meaning to you. To me I just enjoyed reading the poem because I felt like the music did get the point across, his lust for the jazz chick.

1 comment:

  1. You're getting to something, here, thinking about music as life-rhythm, state of mind,something that renders life more fluid and can become a medium that brings people together--but see my comments on other blogs on this poem

    ReplyDelete